Monday, May 10, 2010

1000 Homo Djs - Supernaut

Ok this one I remember buying (actually buying a couple of times because for some reason various assholes who I have lived with have purloined it over the years), but I last listened to it uh at some point I can't recall. It's been a while.

Supernaut - Still love this as much as when I first heard it, which is def not par for the course re: much of the industrial swamp that lives in my CD collection. All the parts of what made Ministry great (when they were) in full effect here. Drums just bashing away, shreddy guitars, distorto vocals (Trent Reznor iirc? Credits are unclear on this) that are still intelligible.

Hey Asshole - GRIND GRIND GRIND, speechy whatever is a little tiring, but the chanty stuff in the backround is holding it together. The unfortunate effects of hanging out with Jello Biafra rear their ugly heads here, lots of self-important off the pigs vibe that just kind of always sounds embarrassing in retrospect. 3 minutes tooooooo long.

Apathy - Grit-boogie sleazepile that still doesn't sound dated somehow, even though it certainly is. I always thought (until filth pig and everything other than the first couple Pigface albums) that there was some weird magic that this whole chicago crew managed to pull off where they rarely sounded cartoonish, which is a problem most "evil" industrial metal (ish) has. These dudes sound like real live out of control drug addicts, mostly because they were, the creepy dudes that linger in the back alleys of bars waiting for something undefined. Bonus points for evil skronk saxophone.

Better Ways - Repetition at its finest, vocals kind of unnecessary and pretty dumb. It's weird how wide the sonic palette is in this stuff, obv not recorded in some hi fi anything, but its all just so slabby and monolithic. Might be the last gasp of twitch era ministry in its approach, and the more I listen to it the more I love it. I take back my comment on the vocals, in a noised out Twitch context they work just fine. Fantastic.

Price Paid: $2.50! Go me!
Rating 1-10: 9. No seriously, I have no significant complaints, and hearing this again is tons of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment